Thursday, July 26, 2007

Furry Friend


Sprockett......where does one begin trying to describe a cat like him? Some friends and family have even questioned his existence since he hides when most people come over. That meow.....how sweet it was when he was a kitten......how utterly annoying it can be on mornings you just want to sleep past 6:00 am and he demands to be fed so he can be back to sleep by 6:30 am. His favorite call in the middle of the night......urp, urp, Urp, Urp, URP, URP...YACK! The sweet sound signaling another gift of Sprockett's famous fur ball graciously left on the carpet. I know Janay hears it, but she usually does a wonderful job of pretending to be sound asleep. He's a pig. I think he would eat until he popped. If he and his sister Sara Lee are fed at the same time, he gulps his down and proceeds to sit with his face so close to her bowl that she eventually gets so annoyed she leaves. Since she is the boss, he doesn't dare try to take it from her. Instead he has figured out that being the annoying "little bother" will earn him at least four or five bites of her food. And finally, that breath. His nickname isn't carcass mouth for nothing....phew!

With all of these "faults" one might wonder how he's managed to stay in our household for ten years. Plain and simple.....love. The crazy cat captured our hearts the first time we saw him at Petsmart in Greenwood. He was there from the Southside Animal Shelter......and he had poop all over his rear end! Janay still wanted him in spite of his "faults". I wasn't so sure. After a few days under our bed, he started to get comfortable in his new surroundings and that wonderful personality emerged. He acts more like a dog than a cat. He watches me leave in the morning from the front window. He greets me at the door with his loud meow when I get home. His favorite place is on my lap, whether that be relaxing in the recliner or rolling around the house with me in my wheelchair. If I'm home, he's typically close by.
What is it about pets that allow us to become so attached to them? We haven't been able to have children because of my spinal cord injury, so maybe our cats somewhat fill that role. But I don't think that is the only reason. I just love animals. I can't watch "Emergency Vets" on the Animal Planet channel without getting choked up. I guess I'm just a sucker for animals. Sprockett's my pal and always makes me smile.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kinda sounds like a cross between my cat and my mother-in-law's cat...both of whom I've told you about. My wife's philosophy about animals is the more mischeivous they are, the better.