Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Six Degrees of Separation

Most of you probably know about the theory of Six Degrees of Separation. In short, it basically says that we are only six people away from knowing everyone on the earth. I've always wondered how true it could possibly be. A recent life experience has me thinking it could be possible.

Janay and I met a wonderful couple on our recent cruise, Rick and Cindy. We first encountered Rick and Cindy at the hotel during our precruise stay. Our paths crosses a couple of times getting on and off the elevators. At that time we only exchanged smiles and polite "hellos".

The first day on the ship Janay and I were relaxing at a table by the pool when we saw familiar faces walk by. They glanced our way and came over and introduced themselves as Rcik and Cindy. Turns out they lived south of Bloomington which isn't very far from us. We are on a ship with over 2,000 people and the first couple we meet are our "neighbors". What are the chances of that? Then we find out they are both Christians as well. I soon realized we didn't meet these people by chance. God is not into coincidences.

We spoke to Rick and Cindy several times throughout the cruise. Janay and I talked about having dinner with them one night, but we never finalized plans with them. The last day came and we never saw them again. We thought maybe they would be on the same flight home, but they weren't. The only things we knew about them were their first names, they lived south of Bloomington, he was a counselor at a church in Bloomington and Cindy worked for a hospital in Bedford. Janay and I were kicking ourselves for not getting their contact info. Once we were home I tried searching the internet with the little info that I had, but my search came up empty.

Little did we know that Rick and Cindy were thinking the same thing. Rick was talking to the secretary at his church about us, telling her about this fabulous couple (ok, maybe I like to embellish) from Martinsville they met on the cruise. Rick's advantage over me was that he remembered the name of our church. When he told the secretary the name of the church she said her sister attended our church as well as a friend of hers. She e-mailed her friend who soon replied back that she did know us, confirmed that we are indeed a fabulous couple :) and told them our last name. Armed with my first and last name, Rick searched the internet and struck gold.

Janay and I met Rick and Cindy for lunch in Bloomington and renewed our friendship. I have no doubt we will be friends and maintain contact for a long time. I believe God brings people in and out of our lives for a purpose. Sometimes that purpose is obvious, other times it isn't. Rick and Cindy are a wonderful couple and we both look forward to getting to know them better.

Yes, this is a tiny example of Six Degrees of Seperation, but I think you see the correlation. I think the internet has made this theory even more believable. It has made this big world a little smaller. Thanks for finding us Rick!

1 comment:

Don said...

Great story.

You are a fabulous couple. We knew that as soon as we met Janany, it took a little longer with you. ;-)